POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Improved intersection routine for CSG-Intersection objects : Re: [OT] Re: Improved intersection routine for CSG-Intersection objects Server Time
6 Oct 2024 15:18:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [OT] Re: Improved intersection routine for CSG-Intersection objects
From: Nicolas Calimet
Date: 16 Dec 2003 14:58:27
Message: <3fdf63e3@news.povray.org>
>   The sad thing is that sometimes the "C-way" will be slower and less
> efficient than the "C++-way". For instance, compare C and C++ strings.
> (Most operations are much faster in C++, not to talk about C++ strings
> being a lot more secure with regard to memory leaking. C++ strings are
> also a lot easier to use.)

	But in what language the C++ streams are implemented internally ?
Isn't it mostly in C and asm ?  The C libraries usually are too.

	I'm interested in this particular point since my own projects
rely _a lot_ on labelled data (using my own C string "library").  Could you
give an example where C++ strings clearly outperform the equivalent C code
(if anything similar can be done) ?

>   (It's really sad that C++ streams are still slower than C streams in
> most compilers. When will they make an implementation which is at least
> as fast?)

	Ah ! Since I usually write GB of data, it seems that I still have
a good reason to "kiss" C a bit longer  ;-)

	- NC